Health problems originating from exposure to mold

Many people are not aware that they have an unwanted guest in their home: mold. And why would they?  Mould is a special type of fungus that rarely goes detected by the naked eye and this is why a mold inspector Toronto use special equipment and even trained dogs to identify its presence. The fungus is capable of living both inside and outdoors, which means that it can adapt itself to almost any kind of environment and that you have been exposed to its spores at least once. Overexposure to this type of fungus can lead to serious health issues and even death. Mould affects your health and you should think twice before treating it superficially.

We cannot display this gallery

Why does mould grow in the house?

Mould is virtually everywhere, in other words you can find it in your home, in schools and at the workplace. However, the fungus flourishes only in certain conditions; more precisely, the fungus develops owing to the presence of moisture. This is why mould I typically found in bathrooms and basements, but other areas of the house can become favourable environments as well. For example, the air in the kitchen is often moist because housewives cook without opening the window; thus, condensation forms. Leaks and bad plumbing can also cause humidity.


The spores released by the fungus when it moves usually cause adverse reactions in humans and pets as well. More precisely, people develop allergic reactions when their nose contacts the mold spores. Although it depends largely to what degree the person has been exposed to the fungus, people who deal with mould pollution usually have one of the following allergy symptoms: nasal congestion, sore throat, difficulty in breathing and chest tightness.


The mistake that people make is that they do not take these symptoms seriously, thinking they only have a cold. Mothers in particular should pay close attention to their infant’s symptoms because the fungus can trigger asthma attack, especially in those who are more sensitive. When the child coughs or has skin and eye irritation, take him immediately to the doctor.


Besides respiratory problems, the time spent in environments that are damp and moist makes you prone to develop infections. Some fungi are more dangerous than others and there is a category of fungus that causes health issues: pathogenic moulds. They are extremely dangerous because they produce an infection that weakens the immune system. If the body cannot defend itself from the attacker, then you can develop bacterial pneumonia. Other than the lungs, the infection can spread to other parts of the body such as the eyes, the skin, etc.

Serious health effects

Indoor fungi can produce dangerous toxins that are immediately absorbed by the intestinal lining. The mycotoxins produced are so powerful that they can cause immunosuppression and even the bog “C”: cancer. People are exposed to these mycotoxins all the time and they enter the body through inhalation, ingestion or simply contact with the fungus. One of the funguses that cause health problems is the black mould. People who are exposed to it risk developing neurological problems and death is likely to occur as well.